GLENDALE, AZ – The Chicago White Sox continue their Cactus League schedule this afternoon when they visit Scottsdale Stadium to take on the San Francisco Giants at 2:05 pm (CT). Derek Holland will make his first start of the spring against the Giants this afternoon, and Carson Fulmer is set to enter the ballgame second for the White Sox.
Fulmer tossed two scoreless innings last weekend in the White Sox Cactus League opener against the Dodgers, striking out three on the afternoon. The White Sox also have Tommy Kahnle, Anthony Swarzak, and Blake Smith scheduled to pitch this afternoon against the Giants.
Jose Abreu Continues Testimony Today
Jose Abreu will continue testimony in a Cuban human smuggling case in front of a Miami courtroom, where he testified on Wednesday that he ate a chunk of his fake passport in October of 2013 while on a flight to the United States with accused defendants Bartolo Hernandez and Julio Estrada.
Hernandez is a Florida sports agent, while Estrada is a Cuban sports trainer, the two are alleged to have demanded money from Cuban baseball players in exchange for smuggling them into the United States to play Major League Baseball. Abreu is expected to be back in White Sox camp on Friday.
Tim Anderson Keeps on Ticking this Spring
White Sox second-year shortstop Tim Anderson came into camp this spring exuding confidence, and it has translated to the field during the Sox first week of Cactus League games. Anderson has started three games this spring for the Sox and has five hits in nine at-bat’s thus far.
Anderson has two doubles, an RBI, and a run scored thus far, and has only struck out once in his first nine at-bat’s, a good sign for the speedy youngster who vowed to greatly reduce his strike out rate this season. Anderson will start again today for the White Sox when they take on the Giants at Scottsdale Stadium.
Leury Garcia Working Hard to Force his Consideration for a Roster Spot
White Sox utility man Leury Garcia has done his part this spring to force the White Sox to look at a possible Opening Day roster spot thus far, recording four hits in his first 12 at-bat’s including two doubles, and five RBI. Garcia also has a stolen base this spring, and has spent time at second base as well as the outfield.
If Charlie Tilson misses extended time with his foot stress reaction the White Sox will need to look elsewhere for an Opening Day center-fielder, with Garcia being one of the options to assume that role at this point. The Sox also have Peter Bourjos in camp, who would be considered for the job as well. Bourjos is two for seven with two runs and a stolen base this spring.
Both Garcia and Bourjos will be in the starting lineup for the White Sox today, and the two will continue their impromptu audition for the center field job, at least until the White Sox reevaluate Tilson’s foot next week.
- Carlos Rodon is expected to throw his first bullpen of the spring on Friday morning at practice. Rodon has been segregated from the other White Sox pitchers this spring in an effort to conserve the young left-hander and keep him fresh throughout the spring.
- Nate Jones left yesterday’s game against the Diamondbacks after taking a hard come-backer to the knee has been listed as day-to-day with a bruised right knee.
- Brett Lawrie is still out of the White Sox lineup with what is being classified as “muscle discomfort”. No word on when he will return to action for the Sox. Lawrie missed much of the 2016 season with lower-body injuries, so the early lower-body soreness for Lawrie is alarming.
- Todd Frazier was seen in the cages on Wednesday and back on the field with his teammates taking infield practice, the veteran third-baseman says he “feels good”, but there is no rush to get into Cactus League action at this point.
- White Sox rookie Yoan Moncada is hit-less in his first seven at-bat’s this spring, but has drawn four walks to this point. Moncada has also been impressive defensively at second base thus far. Moncada will not start this afternoon against the Giants.
Stay with us here at The Loop Sports all spring as we will be providing frequent updates of the happenings around Camelback Ranch, Cactus League game recaps and analysis, and deep-dive analysis into the story-lines to watch for this spring!