Head Coach Brian Kelly and the rest of the Notre Dame staff added some finishing touches to their 2018 recruiting class on National Signing Day. With most of their class already intact during the early signing period, coach Kelly had a few more players on his radar that he wanted to bring over to Notre Dame.
The Irish spent the early signing period getting signatures from 21 student-athletes that wanted to play for Notre Dame. Adding six more student-athletes on National Signing Day, Notre Dame finished with the 10th overall recruiting class according to 247Sports.com. Nine members of this class are ranked in the top 247 players on 247Sports.com.
Here is a positional breakdown of what the 2018 Notre Dame recruiting class looks like:
- Offense: QB: (1), RB: (2), TE: (2), WR: (4), and OL: (4).
- Defense: DL: (3), LB: (4), and DB: (7).
This leaves coach Kelly with 27 new additions to his roster for this upcoming season. As it was mentioned earlier, there were six signees on National Signing Day, some of them were expected and some of them were a bit of a surprise.
Notable signees on National Signing Day:
- Noah Boykin – DB from Washington, D.C.
- Noah is 6’2″ and weighs 176 lbs.
- He is a tall, lengthy corner who can also play safety.
- Noah has good closing speed and is a good tackler.
- This was the surprise commit as he seemed to be heading to Florida or Virginia leading up to National Signing Day.
- Jarrett Patterson – OL from Mission Viejo, CA.
- Jarrett is 6’4″ and weighs 280 lbs.
- He is an athletic lineman that can pull off the line of scrimmage and block downfield.
- He has good footwork.
- His strength and athleticism allows him to block defenders through the trenches, creating big holes for the running back to pass through.
- Lawrence Keys III – WR from New Orleans, LA.
- Lawrence stands in a 5’11” and weighs 170 lbs.
- He is an extremely fast receiver.
- Lawrence is a good deep ball threat.
- He creates a lot of separation during route running.
- He is a reliable receiver with good hands.
The rest of the National Signing Day signees: DJ Brown (DB), C’Bo Flemister (RB), and Luke Jones (OL)
Other notable early enrollees: Houston Griffith (DB), Jack Lamb (LB), Phil Jurkovec (QB), Shayne Simon (LB), and Jayson Ademilola (DT).
There were a few players that Notre Dame missed on during National Signing Day, but finishing with a top ten class is always impressive. Having some of the top talent like Houston Griffith as an early enrollee can be very beneficial in his development as a collegiate athlete. Coach Kelly was able to bring in four offensive line recruits to help try and replace the offensive linemen that are headed for the NFL. Overall, I like the class that Notre Dame finished both recruiting periods with.